Saturday, September 30, 2017

Totally Techniques - Black Magic

September is almost over and that means another International Blog Hop with the talented Totally Techniques Design Team. This month's technique is Black Magic and I have to say that I was a bit challenged by this technique.

I hope you love Marine's project as much as I do!

I followed the Splitcoast Stamper Tutorial which seemed pretty straight forward. I will let you be the judge though. This is this month's creation:
A square card . . . for a change. Base card is Basic Black, lined with a square of Berry Burst and then with a square of Whisper White to marry in with the almost black board approach to this project. The stamped canvas is a square of Basic Black.
I heat embossed the Hello stamp from Floral Statements with White Stampin' Emboss powder directly onto the Basic Black card stock and also onto a scrap of the same coloured card. I then applied Craft White Ink to the two flowers using a Blender Pen ~ I heat set the craft ink. This is obviously different from how others will have approached this technique, as they were stamping in Craft White ink.
Following the tutorial I then coloured over the White Craft Ink with a white watercolour pencil, and proceeded to layer the colour on top of the white base - I started with the Real Red pencil and layered over the top with Rich Razzleberry. My goal was to match the brightness of the Berry Burst card stock.
The green leaves are the two green pencils in the Stampin' Up! Watercolour Pencil pack - I would like to think that they are close to Old Olive and Always Artichoke but I can't be certain. I then fussy cut the sentiment letters from the scrap paper that I heat embossed at the same time as the original image. The letters are stuck down with mini dimensionals. I needed to make the sentiment pop.
A scattering of pearls to add an element of luxury was the final touch to overcome the starkness of the black background.

I hope that you won't limit this technique to just stamped images given that you can colour in the voids of stamped images with the Craft Ink and a Blender Pen.
Good luck with this technique if you decide to try it!

Don't leave us yet as Zoe's project is next!
See you next month!

Cheers
Shanni xx

Order of Blog Hop - September 2017
Pattrice Halliday-Larsen (New Zealand)
Nadine Weiner (Germany)
Marine Wiplier (France)
Shannean Moncrieff (Australia) that's me!
Zoe Tant (United Kingdom)
Barbara Meyer (Austria)

3 comments:

  1. OMG Shannean, your card is stunning and I love how you have used a totally different approach with the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Shanni it's gorgeous !! I love the 3D effect :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. I think I like the heat embossed effect more than just stamping and allowing to dry before colouring. It looks fab with this stamp and the raised letters too. Zx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I am always excited to hear from visitors and take inspiration and joy from the messsages left.
Cheers
Shanni